Dispatch, August 14,, 1888


Infrastructure -- Public : Camp meetingsTourists and sportsmen -- Other recreation - FairsAfrican-Americans -- Work - FisheriesWatermen -- Personal injuryInfrastructure -- Utilities - Water Infrastructure -- Public - Government : Life-saving serviceTransportation -- Railroad - Personal injury

Onancock, August 11, 1888.

The Southern Methodist camp-meeting that has been going on for the past ten days in Turlington's woods ended yesterday. During the meetings sermons were delivered by Rev. Dr. Lafferty, of Richmond; Rev. Dr. W. E. Edwards, of Portsmouth; Rev. Dr. W. V. Tudor, of Norfolk; Rev. Dr. Wrightman, of Baltimore; Rev. Dr. Leonidas Rosser; Rev. J. R. Sturgis, of Richmond; Rev. L. B. Betty of Ashland; Rev. D. G. C. Butts, of Portsmouth; Rev. W. W. Royall, missionary to China; Rev. J. H. Bosman, of Newport News, and many of the resident ministers on the Eastern Shore. Quite a number of conversions took place and the meeting was generally pronounced a pleasant and successful one. The scenes on the camp-ground yesterday reminded old soldiers of the breaking up of camp in war-times.

The Baptist Association meets next week and the Agricultural Fair the week following, and then people will settle down to work again.

Captain Smith K. Martin. of the fishing steamer Daisy, reported to the collector of customs here to-day that he had found the body of an unknown colored man, one day during the week floating off the mouth of the Potomac river near Smith's Point, and being unable to identify the body had buried in on Pungoteague creek. The body is supposed to have been that of a drowned sailor.

Colonel Ludlow, of the United States corps of engineers, recently visited Assateague island, and after a careful examination recommended that the work on the artesian well at the Assateague light-house be abandoned, on the ground that the probable expenditure and labor necessary to obtain fresh water there were beyond the means of the contractor. The well is already more than 300 feet deep.

Mr. Shepherd S. Kellam and wife, of this town, had a very narrow escape from death several days ago. They were returning from the Methodist camp-meeting when their horse stopped suddenly on the railroad track and would not move. Mr. Kellam's son and daughter who were just behind in a buggy, drove hurriedly up and, laying whip to the balking horse, caused him to go forward just as the express train dashed by at lightning speed. A moment later and Mr. Kellam and his wife would have been torn to pieces by the train. The whistle was not sounded till the engine was within a few feet of the crossing. Judson Kellam, a relative of Shepherd Kellam, was killed near this place three years ago by his horse stopping suddenly on the track just in front of an express train. The Circuit Court gave his widow $5,000 damages, but the Court of Appeals reversed the decision.

Richmond, Va.
August 14,, 1888