Peninsula Enterprise, April 15, 1893


Infrastructure -- Public : Churches

Work on the Methodist Parsonage of M. E. Church, South, Drummondtown, will be commenced in a few days.


Infrastructure -- Commercial - Hotels

Hotel Doughty, of this town, is again in the hands of the carpenters and the finishing touches will soon be made. The porches are now receiving their attention.


Infrastructure -- Commercial - Real estate

F. H. Dryden, real estate agent, has sold within the last few days, a farm in Somerset county to Nicholas Julien, of Philadelphia, for $3,000, and one in the same county to Harry w. Lovejoy, of Brooklyn, N.Y., for $1,500. Mr. Dryden has also sold the farm belonging to John Brittingham near New Church, to Robert and Luther Custis, of Parksley, Va.


Infrastructure -- Public : Schools

The citizens of Cape Charles met last Monday to hear the report of the committee appointed to solicit subscriptions to secure the Academy of the Hanover Presbytery, which is looking for a location on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. The committee reported $4,000 subscribed. Capt. O. A. Browne, manager of the late W. L. Scott's estate, reported that he would donate the grounds on which to build this academy. A committee of three was appointed to wait upon the presbytery, now in session in the city of Petersburg.


Sea -- Finfish - Catch : RockSea -- Finfish - Catch : Shad and herringTourists and sportsmen -- Other recreation - ResortsOther


Shad and rock never more plentiful at this season in our waters.

A party of sixty persons, consisting of the Governor of Delaware, members of the Legislature of that State, prominent railroad officials and others were among the visitors to the Atlantic Hotel last week.

Jacob Wessels and his wife, Lizzie, two respected colored people, concluded to strengthen the tie which had bound them as man and wife for the last 40 years, by getting married last week. The wedding feast incident to such occasions was served by them to their numerous friends.


Infrastructure -- Commercial - HotelsInfrastructure -- Commercial - Commercial constructionInfrastructure -- Public : ChurchesTransportation -- Road - Other

Hoffman's Wharf.

"Lake's three masted steam yacht" made us a short visit Monday. She is a very handsome vessel.

Mr. John W. Sturgis is receiving lumber and other supplies to build a handsome hotel at this place.

The citizens of Hoffman's Wharf and vicinity have secured from Mr. S. K. Martin a lot at this place for the purpose of building a M. E. Church, South, at an early day. Mr. Martin kindly gave the lot, free of charge.

Rumor reaches us, that one of our prominent young men was fined $2.50 for driving faster than 8 miles an hour in the streets of Onancock, last Sunday, while on a visit to see his best girl. Some think he must have exchanged horses after leaving home.


Fields -- Crops - StrawberriesTourists and sportsmen -- Field sports - Hunting : Waterfowl and shorebirdTourists and sportsmen -- Other recreation - TennisInfrastructure -- Public : TownsDevelopment -- Quality of life


The farmers of this vicinity are again going in for strawberries and from the verdant foliage of their well tilled fields we should judge that the omens prognosticate a fine crop.

The Temperanceville sportsmen are taking an active interest in duck shooting. Although an occasional "water haul" is made they generally succeed in bagging a fair quantity.

The young people of this village participated in another tennis tournament on Saturday afternoon. This is a very popular game here and the beneficial exercise is much enjoyed by the young of both sexes.

Owing to the increasing number of mercantile establishments and the streets that are being filled up, it is now becoming necessary to distinguish them by name. The latest addition of three stores is called the Broadwater Block. This is to be occupied by the following firms: G. W. Oldham & Co., druggists; Miss Docia Watson, milliner, and G. G. Guillette, dealer in fresh meats.

Before another edition of the ENTERPRISE has gone to press your correspondent will have bidden farewell to the dear old county of Accomac and departed for the balmy skies of the South. For kindness, hospitality and sterling principles the citizens of this county are unsurpassed, and it is with a warm feeling for the good people of this and surrounding villages that he bids them adieu and turns his face towards the land beyond the Chesapeake.

Spain Honors the Hog Island Surfmen.

reprinted from Baltimore Sun.Transportation -- Water - WrecksInfrastructure -- Public - Government : Life-saving service

Senor Matteo Perez, acting consul of Spain at the port of Baltimore, has received nine medals from the Spanish government for the members of the life-saving crew at Hog Island, Northampton county, Va. Accompanying each medal is a diploma which tells the story of the heroism of the crew when the Spanish steamer San Albano was wrecked, February 21, 1892. Twenty-five persons were saved and one life was lost.

The diplomas are printed in Spanish. A translation of the one for the captain of the life savers states: "Inasmuch as the chief of the life-saving station of Hog Island has made himself worthy to receive the silver medal of honor created to reward the deeds [illegible] and philanthropy which [illegible] crews of foreign [illegible] steamer San Albano at Hog Island, United States, on the night on February 21, 1892, the King, whom God preserve, and in his name the Queen regent of the kingdom have ordered that the present diploma shall be sent to him in order that he may use the above mentioned decoration." The diplomas are dated September 21, 1891, and are signed by the minister of marine, Don Jose Maria de Beranger y Ruiz de Apodaca. The seal of the ministry of marine is affixed.

The captain will receive a silver medal. The eight others of the crew will receive bronze medals. The medals are about one inch and a half in diameter and three sixteenths thick. The observe side shows a crown of laurel surmounting the heraldic insignia of Castile and Leon. The reverse side has the inscription, "Previo al Valor Marinero," which means "reward for marine valor." The inscription is encircled by a wreath. The medal is suspended from a gold clasp by the Spanish colors -- red, yellow and red. The medals were made in Madrid by M. Cevalyo. They are inclosed in pretty morocco cases, each being inscribed in gold letter with the name of the man for whom it is intended.

The persons who will get the medals are John E. Johnson, keeper of the station, and Surfmen R. C. Joynes, J. R. Dunton, C. F. Carpenter, J. H. DeWald, J. E. Smith, J. K. Carpenter, J. A. Doughty and William B. Goffigon.

Cape Charles and Hog Island Lighthouses.

Infrastructure -- Public - Government : Lighthouse service

The light-house board has prepared plans and specifications and has advertised for proposals for the construction of the two new light-houses authorized by Congress to be erected at Cape Charles and Hog Island, Va. Bids will be opened at the office of the light-house engineer, in Baltimore, at 2 o'clock, Wednesday, May 17, 1893. In case of the contracts for the two structures being awarded to one bidder the first one must be completed in fifteen months from the date of the contract and the second within twenty-two months. If the award is made of only one tower it must be completed within fifteen months. The two structures will be identical in every particular, except that the Cape Charles tower will be painted white while that on Hog Island will be painted black. They are to be 175 feet in height from the beach to the focal plane of the light, or 181 feet to the top of the roof, making them just ten feet lower than the Cape Hatteras light-house, which is the highest in the country. The towers will be built on the iron skeleton plan, surmounted by a service-room, a watch-room, with gallery and a lantern. Access to these rooms will be afforded by a spiral stairway and elevator inclosed in a central cast-iron cylinder. The structure will rest upon nine concrete piers, one being placed in the centre for the support of the stair cylinder, and the others at equal distances about it, with their centres 26 feet 6 inches from the centre of the central pier. The skeleton will be composed of tubular iron columns arranged in seven series, these of the first series being thirteen inches in diameter and each succeeding series an inch less in diameter, until the seventh series is reached, which will be seven inches. The columns are to be thoroughly braced, so as to withstand the greatest possible strain to which they are ever likely to be subjected by any storm, no matter how severe. The service-room will be fifteen feet in diameter, and immediately above it will be the watch-room, with the lantern still above that. A gallery will run about the tower at a level with the watch-room floor and another will encircle it at a level with the lantern floor. One of the novel features will be the elevator, in which a man by turning a crank in the car can run himself to the top of the structure with ease, thus obviating the necessity of climbing the long flights of stairs. The lights for these new houses will be the most powerful manufactured, and the best lenses that can be procured will be used in the lanterns. The keepers will live in quarters to be erected on the beach at the base of the tower. The plans for these new light-houses have been prepared with great care by the light-house board, and it is expected they will be the most complete and thoroughly equipped light stations in the United States or in the world.

Peninsula Enterprise
Accomac Court House
April 15, 1893